Monday, October 28, 2013

A Higher Perspective

October 21, 2012

A couple of months ago I had gone on a trip and was riding with a friend so I was able to sightsee. On the way back, we took a different way than what I was used to and ended up taking an overpass that crossed the road I normally take to my grandmother’s house. I looked out the window and saw the familiar road, as well as many things in the distance that I cannot usually see when I’m on the road, either because of distance or because my focus is only on the road directly ahead.

Immediately the Lord began to speak to my heart about what I was seeing – not just the road and surroundings, but the deeper spiritual meaning He wanted me to learn and apply to my own life. You see, riding on the overpass gave me a new perspective, a higher perspective. It allowed me to not only see the road I was used to, but so much that I would not usually be able to take in.

In life, we are traveling down a road. We all have different roads and different paths, different journeys to get us to our destination; and they fork and wind and turn in directions we didn’t expect, or very often, just don’t understand. While on these roads of life we are looking ahead, moving forward, focused on the path directly in front of us, concentrating on one step at a time. However, if we were lifted up above that path we would find that the higher we go the more we would be able to see.

God showed me that day that just as it says in his word, “His ways are higher than our ways,” His perspective is perfect and so much higher than our own. While we can only see part of the picture and a portion of the road ahead, God sees the whole picture – beginning to end, every twist and turn, including each obstacle and pitfall that may lie on the path. None of it takes Him by surprise, and none of it is beyond His power or ability to walk us through. This morning we heard such a wonderful message at church about how throughout our life we are going through a process. Everything that we face and everything that we walk through is meant to refine us, meant to draw us closer to God, meant to make us better and stronger Christians, and to teach us how to love and have compassion on other people. Everything that we face on this road of life is all part of the process. The process is not always easy, and more often than not can be incredibly uncomfortable and painful. But we have to endure to the end, stay on the path, see the process through to its completion.

The thing that we have to remember is that everything that we are able to see is only a part of the bigger picture – a moment in eternity – but God sees everything in its entirety. We have to learn to trust in that higher perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment