Friday, August 7, 2015

Overcoming the Obstacle of the Distorted Mirror


Overcoming the Obstacle of the Distorted Mirror

A few weeks ago, as I opened up my internet home page, one of the main news headlines on MSN was talking about a certain reality star “rockin’ a bikini at 40!” Yes, folks, items like this are headline news. Oh, there were other stories about what was going on in the government, in the world of finance, probably some new bacteria or virus somewhere, gasoline prices, and other similar subjects; but who could care about those things when so-and-so is “rockin’ a bikini at 40?”

The article was a symptom to me of a deeper issue in our society. We all know that there is a great deal of attention given to all sorts of famous people around the world, but the issue I’m referring to is the one in which our worth is determined by how we look, or even, what we have. The issue is that of a superficial mindset that looks at the outside, and asserts judgment as to who a person is on the inside. This is the issue of the distorted mirror.

I have wasted so many years of my life feeling insecure about how I looked in the mirror. I would look at the covers of magazines and see what looked like perfection on each one while waiting my turn in the check-out line. I have stood and stared at the covers of those books or at the gum selection, or whatever might be at hand, just so that someone I know passing by would hopefully not notice that I was standing there…in turn seeing just how inadequate I was. I am currently preparing to shoot the cover for my upcoming album, and while this should be an exciting time, I instead find myself feeling dread and apprehension because I won’t look like a model on one of those covers.

Where does this mindset come from that our outside has to look a certain way in order to be considered beautiful? Why do we have to drive a certain kind of car or live in a certain kind of house in order to seem successful and worthy? Why does our job have to determine who we are?

First of all, no matter how amazing or perfect you look on the outside, God sees through to the heart. If that isn’t beautiful and pleasing to Him, then no amount of diets, makeup, Botox, exercise, hair dye, fancy clothes, or anything else will make you truly beautiful. No matter what you have, if you don’t have Jesus as your Savior, then you have nothing. Possessions are temporary, and we all know that we can’t take them with us when we go. When you stand before God someday, you won’t pull up in that sports car or hand Him a wad of cash to pay your way into Heaven. He will only want to know one thing. He will want to know if you gave your all to Jesus. No matter what kind of job you have, whether you are the CEO of a major corporation or cleaning the parking lot outside that corporation, each of us is the same in the eyes of God.

I have come to realize that no matter how imperfect I may appear to be on the outside, God made me perfect in His sight. I am “fearfully and wonderfully made.” I can walk with my head held high because I am a daughter of the King of Kings and Lord of Lords. The One who created the universe loves me so much that He sent His son to die for my sin, to take all of my shame, and to redeem me to Himself. He loves me unconditionally with a love like no other. I will do all that I can to shine His light into this world and to show His love to everyone I meet. I will smile. I will show compassion. I will be kind. I will be honest, even though the truth is sometimes painful. I will strive daily to be like Jesus.

You see, it doesn’t matter how the world views me, or even how I view myself in the distorted mirror of my own mind. My worth is found in Him. Whether I am a size 2 or a size 22, the one thing that determines my worth is who I am in Christ. Whether I am driving a Pinto or a Porsche, my worth is not found in the things of this world, but in Christ.

I hope that today, this moment, we will stop looking at the outside, and begin to look for what really matters in a person. And I hope that we will smash that distorted mirror image we have of ourselves, the mirror that is warped by feelings of inadequacy and self-loathing. I hope that we will begin to look deeper in ourselves, and in those around us, to find the real beauty inside when we reflect the light of Christ. It doesn’t matter if you can rock a bikini at 70! What does matter is if you are standing on THE Rock…Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment