Wednesday, January 4, 2017

The Tree of Life

     It has taken me a few days to get this post together, and I'm still struggling through it a bit in my mind. Here we are, beginning a new year - 2017, and my mind is racing with all that lies ahead. I don't have resolutions that I have made, but rather, goals that I have set for myself to make this year different and better. The past year certainly had some wake-up call moments for me - some huge reality checks that reminded me just how precious every moment really is.
     Back on August 12th, I lost one of the very best friends I have ever had...suddenly, unexpectedly. She was a little less than a year older than me, and had been 42 for less than a month when she passed away in her sleep. We lived close together, and our daughters are nearly the same age and are friends as well. I expected that we would be little elderly ladies someday out shopping and drinking coffee together, and acting like we were completely crazy...as we always did. It just goes to show how little I really know.
     Our youth group from church went to a conference in Gatlinburg this past weekend to bring in the new year worshiping the Lord and hearing His word. One of the bands that was there was one that my friend and I had seen in concert a couple of years ago, and was one of our absolute favorites! I saw a video from the conference on New Year's Day, and it was a clip of that band as they sang going into the new year. I was so broken thinking about how our daughters were celebrating the new year together at the conference, but she was no longer here to celebrate with us anymore.

     For her 42nd birthday, I gave her a bracelet that said "God" in the shape of a heart, because she loved the Lord so much. I also gave her a Ginger Snaps ring with a Tree of Life snap. She was so excited about it and said it made her cry. When she passed away, her daughter told me that she wanted me to have that ring, and after the funeral she brought it to me. 

     That ring has become such a precious treasure to me. When I wear it, I am always reminded of my friend. Every time I see it, I think of her, and what her friendship meant to me, and I also think about what that tree means to me.
    
     There are so many great analogies of trees in the relationships of our lives...branches and roots...family trees, etc. For me, I see that we each have a tree that is our life. It begins small, and grows not only up, but out. The roots go deep, building a firm foundation of love of family and trust. As the tree grows taller, it also grows stronger. We experience so many things in our lives, good and bad. The good builds us up, while we have to face the bad as well - either allowing it to weaken us or strengthen us. We continue to build relationships and have experiences as we grow older, and the tree's branches grow wide and long and full, healthy and beautiful.
     But, as it is with life, seasons come and seasons go. Some of the branches dry up and die, then break off of the tree and fall away. However, as it goes through these changes, the tree continues to live and grow.
     As I look at my special ring while I type this, I am so thankful for the time I had with my friend. I'm thankful that I had the chance to pray with her, to worship with her, to attend church with her, to shop, hang out, laugh, exercise, watch our girls play basketball, celebrate birthdays, and do so many other fun things with her! I am thankful for the heart-to-heart conversations that we had, for the times we laughed so hard we were crying. I'm thankful for each phone call, text message, social media post, and gift that she took the time and care to give.
     But this is really what I am trying to say in all of this... Enjoy every moment. Don't waste time on petty things. Love people. Really LOVE people. Be genuine and compassionate, kind and generous. Give of yourself. Don't hold back when it comes to telling people how you feel. Let them know they are loved and appreciated and cared for. We never know when the time will come that we will not get another chance. One day it will be our last day, so live to the very fullest now. Be all that God has called you to be. Don't wait until tomorrow. Today is the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment